In 2017 we started an exciting new Days Away project which is open to young people who are currently supported by Me2 Club. The aim of the project is to increase our young peoples confidence and independence skills. We now run three Days Away each year, one of which is specifically for our Me2 Club Teenagers.
Our previous Days Away
- A day at the seaside in Bournemouth funded by the Wessex Youth Trust
- Cotswold Wildlife Park, which was funded by the Berkshire Community Foundation
- Bristol Aquarium and a meal out funded by Reading Dispensary Trust and Rotary Club of Reading Maiden Erlegh
- A trip to the Autism-friendly performance of The Lion King, tickets kindly donated by Willy Wonka Travel
- A boat trip around Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Blue Reef Aquarium with a meal out funded by DM Thomas Foundation for Young People
- A zookeeper experience day at BCA in Maidenhead funded by the Wokingham Borough Mayor’s Gala Ball
- a trip to Odds Farm Park in Buckinghamshire funded by Wokingham Lions
Me2 Club have just successfully ran our eighth Day Away, which was a trip for our Teenagers to Southampton. We took 7 teenagers and 6 volunteers on the trip where we enjoyed lots of activities chosen by the group. We started off in Hythe and caught the pier train and Hythe Ferry over to Southampton. One of the teenagers sang sea shanties on the crossing! We then made our way over to Pizza Express for some lunch where the teenagers and volunteers all enjoyed pizza and pasta. The last activity of the day was a visit to the SeaCity Museum where we took part in a craft workshop making plaster casts of buried treasure and enjoyed the exhibitions including Titanic and a treasure trail. All the children and their volunteers really enjoyed the day with all of them saying they would like to come on another ‘Day Away’. A big thank you to Sage Foundation for supporting this ‘Teenager Day Away’ and making all these activities possible.