In 2017 we piloted an exciting new Days Away project which is open to young people who are currently supported by Me2 Club. The aim of the project is to increase our young peoples confidence and independence skills. We run three Days Away each year, one of which is specifically for our Me2 Club Teenagers.
Our previous Days Away
- A day at the seaside in Bournemouth funded by the Wessex Youth Trust
- Cotswold Wildlife Park, which was funded by the Berkshire Community Foundation
- Bristol Aquarium and a meal out funded by Reading Dispensary Trust and Rotary Club of Reading Maiden Erlegh
- A trip to the Autism-friendly performance of The Lion King, tickets kindly donated by Willy Wonka Travel
- A boat trip around Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Blue Reef Aquarium with a meal out funded by DM Thomas Foundation for Young People
Me2 Club have just successfully ran our sixth Day Away, which was a trip to BCA in Maidenhead for a Zoo Keeper Experience Day. We took 10 young people and 10 volunteers on the trip, where they had the chance to feed and care for lots of different animals. They fed and held insects and reptiles then prepared lunch for an animal of their choosing, which included monkeys, lemurs, birds and many more! The young people also cleared out animal enclosures and got to play with the meerkats and porcupine. All our young people and volunteers really enjoyed the day with everyone reporting they would like to come on another trip with Me2 Club. Most of our young people also said that they made new friends during the day. This trip was funded with money from the Wokingham Borough Mayor’s Gala Ball so thank you to everyone who supported the Gala Ball for making this ‘Day Away’ possible.